Things I have done instead of starting NaNoWriMo

I've made a list of things I need before I can start writing properly:
* a coffee
* a nicer chair
* a nicer desk
* a laptop, so that I can work at a different desk
* a different word processor
* different music to listen to, music that's more "writer-y"
* another coffee
* a biscuit
* a plot
* some talent
* command of the English language

I've suddenly found all manner of interesting things that need investigating on the internet:
* ABC's iView, never needed to look at it before, but now...
* what my Flickr contacts have been up to
* their favourite photos
* their favourite's favourites...
* places one can buy obscure British sci-fi in Australia
* a review (with spoilers) of the next Dr Who episode
* articles about vaccination and dodgy science
* the NaNoWriMo website (http://www.nanowrimo.org)
* articles about strategies for avoiding procrastination
* people twittering about Hallowe'en costumes
* other people twittering about NaNoWriMo and how they haven't started yet

So, I'm writing this as a warm-up exercise. To get the fingers moving and the words coming out of the big blob of custard that masquerades as my brain, down my arms and into the keyboard. I need to get past the big white page that is sitting in front of me. I just need to start, to nail down just one of the flailing threads of plot that are waving at me just out of reach. But what if I choose the wrong one? It could throw off the whole endeavour. Maybe I'll just have a biscuit.

Posted via email from Gareth's posterous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too much information

Running: Trailguru

Tidying up