The Hero's Journey

"Please, sit down. We've been waiting for you for a very long time."
"Where am I?"
"You are in the Land of In-between-and-a-little-to-the-left. The Prophecy said you would come to us."
The hero sighed. "There's always a prophecy."
"Yes, it says that-"
"Don't bother. They never make any sense until afterwards."
"Oh, but our interpretation-"
"I said not to bother. Let's get on with it. There's a MacGuffin, right?"
"Eh?"
"A magic sword, or orb, spell, holy toenail, sometimes a princess, sometimes a prince. You've got something that you think I need to defeat some bad man, monster, god or giant chicken. Only it's been lost for years, or eaten,or sealed in a crypt, or fired into the heart of the sun, and I have to get it. Right?"
"Well, sort of. There's the Jaunty-angled Cap of the Flamboyant Sorceror-King, we believe it is the only hope against the murderous King Marjorie."
"Cap, eh? That's a new one, I'll give you that. Anyway, let me give you the executive summary: I'll get the thingy, after a lot of irritating adventures, involving talking animals, but in the course of the final punch-up with King Marjorie I'll realise that the power I needed was inside me all along. Now, let's save us all a lot of tedious mucking about and just go and have a chat with King Thingy, explain that all you need is love and then I can bugger off back home in time for tea."
"You truly are the Chosen One. That's exactly what the Prophecy said. Word for word."
"Shut it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too much information

Tidying up

Running: Trailguru