My powers are weak.

Yesterday, the final Star Wars film was released. You may not have noticed, there was little fanfare. Anyway, the whole interwebs were filled with chatter from people who went to see the first one 28 years ago to the day. It got me thinking: did I actually go to see Star Wars in the cinema?

I've always been convinced I did. I would have been about 4 years old, but I can't remember going to the cinema to see it. I remember going to see Return of the Jedi with my mum, the same year we went to see Octopussy, the last year that there was a cinema in my home town. It closed down in 1984, I think. I can also remember going to see The Empire Strikes Back with my sister. I was racking my brains earlier today, trying to dredge up memories of Star Wars itself.

I can remember going to see Superman with my brother and sister, in my sister's Wolseley Hornet. We had to go to the next town, since the vaguaries of the distribution system meant that they got films a few weeks before our town. That was 1978, and I would have been 5. Star Wars is a bit of a blank, though. It just seems like I was born having seen it, it's always been part of my childhood.

My son is now the same age I was when I first saw it, and I've been introducing him to the DVD box set of the original trilogy. One of my proudest moments was to hear him do the Darth Vader breathing noises, followed by his C3P0 impression. I'm such a geek, and I have founded a geek dynasty. Mwuhahahaaaaa... now I just need to get my daughter to grow her hair long enough to be twizzled into big Belgian buns on the side of her head and my journey will be complete.

This isn't the post you're looking for. You may go about your business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too much information

Running: Trailguru

Tidying up